Forget Movie Night – Try These Ideas for Interactive Family Time
One of the best ways to pull the family together and make great memories is to set some time aside each week to have a family fun night. Watching a movie together is a good start, but there are plenty of other activities that can provide great family interaction as well. Below are seven excellent ideas to get your gears turning for your next family fun night.
- Go bowling. Bowling is great because it’s not extremely physically demanding, and even a rank beginner can enjoy themselves (especially when there are bumper rails on the lanes). Bowling is also a great rainy-day activity. You can enjoy some food, cheer each other on and even talk a little trash if you’re a little bit more competitive.
- Play miniature golf. This is another fun activity with low barriers to entry when it comes to athletic skills. You can enjoy time with your family while doing your best to come close to par on the various tricky elements of the course.
- Play card games. Who doesn’t love playing card games? A deck of cards and a basic set of rules can add up to a lot of fun for the family. Some classic favorites are Crazy Eights, Go Fish, UNO and Phase 10.
- Try an Escape Room adventure. Escape Room adventures are a fantastic way to engage the whole family in a night of mystery-solving fun. An Escape Room adventure is real-world room escape experience where your family’s job is to find out how to escape a locked room by solving a series of puzzles or riddles and searching for clues/objects that are placed throughout the room. Cincinnati’s Houdini’s Room Escape is a great example of an Escape Room venue. Your family will have a blast together using observational skills, deductive reasoning and teamwork in order to escape the room and save the day.
- Bake something together. There’s nothing like a family activity that promises yummy food as a reward for completion. Get your family in the kitchen together to bake cookies, brownies, muffins or any number of other sweet treats.
- Create a backyard obstacle course. Create various obstacles in your backyard using items such as jump ropes, hula hoops and so forth, and then have a competition to see who can complete the course in the shortest amount of time. This is a great way for the whole family to have fun and get some good exercise at the same time.
- Go skating. Roller skating, inline skating or even ice skating – just head to your local rink or park for a good time! If it’s been a while since you’ve strapped on some skates, be sure to take it slow at first before you really get rolling. Also, be sure that everyone is outfitted with the proper safety gear such as helmets and knee pads.
Next family night, think outside the couch. Infuse new life and great fun into your time together to really make some memories.